In this short video clip, master comedian Ricky Gervais reflects on money.
Ricky acknowledges that he was poor as his family was a working class family that lived in a council estate.
He was unaware of his social status because everyone around him was in the same situation. There was no juxtaposition until he got to university.
Ricky Gervais lives by the Bob Dylan quote,
“A man can consider himself a success if he gets up in the morning, goes to bed at night and in between does exactly what he wants.”
Ricky has artistic integrity in all of his creative endeavors.
His raw honesty comes forth in his admission of guilt regarding his new-found wealth.
He struggled with wealth because of his belief in the nobility in poverty.
One gets the sense that Ricky has contempt for rich people. Perhaps this is due to his humble upbringing and working class sensibilities.
I think Ricky has contempt for greed.
What is noble is that he wants to be proud of how he earns his money and consequent success.
Ricky’s work ethic/discipline, ethics and talent guide him in his work.
He is quite involved in animal rights, social activism, humanitarian efforts and charities.
Ricky uses comedy as a societal mirror to criticize issues that desperately need it.
The clip ends on a somewhat ambivalent note.
He states that he does not understand making money yet he concludes that he makes money.
I think what Ricky is saying is that he does not strive to make more money for the sake of making money.
He seems content with the success he already has instead of playing the money chasing game.
It is so refreshing for a person of his stature to adopt this attitude.
In that satisfaction lies another kind of wealth- creative satisfaction.
Do you think there is nobility in poverty?
What about wealth?
Do you agree or disagree with Ricky Gervais?
Why or why not?
For more information…
Peace & Namaste…
- Reflection for today…The Value of Money -Nikola Tesla (mysoulsonice.wordpress.com)
- Reflection for today…Living Well Is The Best Revenge -Ricky Gervais (mysoulsonice.wordpress.com)
- How Ricky Gervais Learned to Write (missingthemuse.wordpress.com)
- Ricky Gervais Wants Beagles Spared from Research (ecorazzi.com)
- 20 Adorable TwitPics That Prove Ricky Gervais Is A Cat Lady (buzzfeed.com)
- Don’t Buy Furs and Foie Gras This Holiday Season, Ricky Gervais Urges (news.softpedia.com)